The Nature of Enterprise Information & Data.
By PROF ARTHUR UME
Enterprise information/data is a collection of facts organized in such a way that they have additional business or operational value beyond the value of the raw facts themselves…for the enterprise.
In every organization, the enterprise data/information determines the following important business and operational drivers:
- Decision making.
- Product development.
- Resource allocation.
Attributes of Enterprise Information and Data
- MUST possess the following …
4.Organized for a purpose
5.Context that gives meaning and relevance
6.Engagement that can affect behavior, decision or an outcome
The Three Concerns of Enterprise Information & Data
1.Users of the Information or Data:
- Who they are
- What roles the users play in the organization; experts or laymen; decision makers or worker bees
- What formats are easiest for them to handle
- What languages do they work in
2.The Content of the Information or Data
- How to organize the content
- The label of the information or data; (ie. What metadata to add)
- Navigation and navigability of mode of effective rendering the information or data (Whether to run Top-down discovery or Bottom-up discovery or both)
3.The Context of the Information or Data
- What is the need of the information to the organization ; …the bottom line here is that “any technology used to handle information must serve the need of the organization”
- How will the information be used
Note: As an Enterprise Architect you must be keenly interested in where these three concerns meet and intersect!